The doughnut dog continues to evolve. In v2 we used doughnut cuttings pressed together with the sliced hot dog to form a frank-fritter. The slicing of the dog, coupled with the light cornstarch coating and the pressing together with dough pieces produced what I thought was going to be the final version. Fortunately I was wrong. When I made v2 I used doughnut cuttings that I then needed to weigh to equal a doughnut. I used these pieces to randomly organize the cornstarch dusted hot dog slices between them. The form was a fritter. But it was not an efficient process. And the doughnut trimmings I had used were generated because of a weird short week at the shop and would not be readily available in our existing processes.
I was cutting doughnuts and contemplating our next steps when I looked down at a tray of our doughnut clusters, our assemblage of eight doughnut holes into a flower-like doughnut. I realized I could use these beauties as the base for the dog. I was slicing the dogs into eight pieces and the clusters were comprised of eight holes. Serendipity. I cut the dogs up, dusted them with cornstarch and pressed them into the clusters. I covered the doughnut dogs and put a single sheet pan on top of them to put some light pressure on the dogs to set them in place in the doughnut. I refrigerated the doughnut dogs overnight. The following day I set about frying them. The dog pieces held in place as the dough grew and rose in and around them. It appeared as if our clusters were blooming hot dog flowers and, like a certain blooming onion, you can pull apart these clusters into individual bites of hot dog and doughnut for easy sharing or devouring.
January 11, 2011
January 11, 2005