An issue I have faced when fermenting is the effort involved in trying to massage an ingredient in order to extract its moisture to generate enough liquid to create the brine that is supposed to cover and isolate the ingredient to facilitate lacto fermentation.
Today we looked at the problem differently. We made a brine solution of 5% salt and 5% sugar. We packed the lemons into the jar and poured the brine over and around the fruit. We topped the jar with a Kraut Source lid. The lid is an upgrade from the wad of plastic wrap under the lid approach we have used in the past. This specially designed lid adds some efficiency and elegance to our fermentation process. They are an investment in your fermentation process and totally worth it if you're going to be using them on a regular basis.
For these lemons we had roughly 2 parts lemons to 1 part brine, by weight. The combination of the sliced lemons and brine will eventually transform into fruit with a salt and sugar concentration of 1.6%, a solid and delicious point for preserved lemons. Now comes the point of waiting, the difficult stage for my impatient self.
February 9, 2005